Release NotesApril 6, 2004
About ULC 5.2
Release 5.2 includes the following new features:
- Drag & Drop support for ULCTree, ULCTable, ULCTableTree, ULCList, ULCTextComponents, and ULCLabel
- Drag & Drop sample application
- Optimized memory management
- Enhanced Servlet container integration support
- New license key system
- Bug fixes
- Implemented feature requests
Version NotesULC 5.2 requires the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 1.3.1 or later. It should run on any platform that supports JRE 1.3.1 or later.
The ULC client has been tested on Windows 2000 with the following deployment options:
- Applet: Running the ULC client as an applet has been tested with the following browsers:
- Mozilla 1.6
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 5
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 6
- Java Web Start: Running the ULC client using Java Web Start has been tested with Java Web Start 1.0.1_02 and Java Web Start 1.4.2_02.
The ULC server has been tested on Windows 2000, Red Hat Linux 9.0, and Sun Solaris 8 with the following deployment options:
- Servlet container: The Servlet integration has been tested on
- EJB container: The EJB integration has been tested on
The ULC launcher plug-in requires Eclipse 2.0 / WebSphere Application Developer 5.0 or higher
What's in this ReleaseULC 5.2 includes the following components:
- ULC Base: The base framework required for ULC application development.
- ULC Servlet container integration: The components required for application deployment in Servlet containers.
- ULC EJB container integration: The components required for application deployment in EJB containers.
- ULC Applet Client integration: The components required for client deployment as applets.
- ULC JNLP Client integration: The components required for client deployment using JNLP/Java Web Start.
- ULC Standalone Client integration: The components required for standalone client deployment.
- ULC sample applications: Sample ULC applications (also demonstrating deployment).
- ULC documentation
- ULC integration into IBM�s WebSphere Studio development environment.
Release StructureULC 5.2 is distributed with the following directory and file structure:
ulc-5.2 releasenotes.html this file LicenseAgreement.pdf ULC software license agreement build.txt contains the build number previous_releasenotes Previous release notes doc ULC documentation apidoc JavaDoc ULCDevGuide.pdf ULC Developer Guide ULCWhitePaper.pdf ULC White Paper base ULC base framework lib ulc-base-client.jar client base module (used for client deployment) ulc-base-server.jar server base module (used for servr deployment) ulc-base-development.jar development base module (additions for application development) src Source stubs (to support IDE code completion) container J2EE server integration ejb EJB container integration lib ulc-ejb-client.jar client ejb module (contains connector to EJB container) ulc-ejb-server.jar server ejb module (contains EJB container adapter) src Source stubs (to support IDE code completion) servlet servlet container integration lib ulc-servlet-client.jar client servlet module (contains connector to servlet container) ulc-servlet-server.jar server servlet module (contains servlet container adapter) src Source stubs (to support IDE code completion) environment client environment integration applet applet deployment lib ulc-applet-client.jar client applet module (contains applet integration) ulc-applet-server.jar server applet module (contains server component to access applet content pane) ulc-applet-development.jar development applet module (contains embedded applet development runner) src Source stubs (to support IDE code completion) jnlp jnlp deployment lib ulc-jnlp-client.jar client jnlp module (contains launcher for jnlp deployment) src Source stubs (to support IDE code completion) standalone standalone deployment lib ulc-standalone-client.jar client standalone module (contains launcher for standalone deployment) src Source stubs (to support IDE code completion) sample ULC sample applications tomcat Ready to run Tomcat servlet container with all samples webapps ROOT.war web application archive containing all the samples startServer.bat batch file to run Tomcat startServer.sh shell script to run Tomcat startClient.html link to start the browser hello simple hello world application lib hello-server.jar hello application classes (to be deployed to the server) src webapp hello.war hello web application (servlet container with applet and jnlp client) pie sample application illustrating the extension mechanism lib pie-client.jar pie extension classes pie-server.jar pie application classes (contains the server side extension) src webapp pie.war pie web application (servlet container with applet and jnlp client) teammembers sample application illustrating a master detail view lib teammembers-server.jar teammembers application classes (to be deployed to the server) src webapp teammembers.war teammembers web application (servlet container with applet and jnlp client) ulcset sample application illustrating the use of most ULC widgets lib ulcset-server.jar ulcset application classes (to be deployed to the server) src webapp ulcset.war ulcset web application (servlet container with applet and jnlp client) ulcdndset application showing Drag & Drop in ULC lib ulcdndset-server.jar ulcset application classes (to be deployed to the server) src webapp ulcdndset.war ulcset web application (servlet container with applet and jnlp client) ide IDE integrations websphere IBM�s WebSphere Studio development environment ulclauncher.zip the zipped plugin
|557||Serialization of ApplicationLocals||Cannot be fixed for static ApplicationLocals!
So we decided to deprecate the ApplicationLocal class and remove it in a later ULC release.
As a replacement the following API has been introduced on the ApplicationContext class:
|628||Iconized ULCInternalFrame does not get restored when using ULCInternalFrame.setIcon(false);|
|629||ULCInternalFrame.setMenuBar() does not work after widget is uploaded|
|630||ULCInternalFrame.getTitle() does not work|
|632||ULCSplitPane.setDividerLocation() throws IllegalArgumentException on UIEngine|
|656||ServletConnector cookie handling interferes with browser/plug-in cookie handling|
|671||VersionInfo not available in specific deployment scenarios|
|100||Access components of containers||Added the following API:
|525||Need of fixed columns in ULCTable like swing-JViewport||This functionality can be added by writing an extension for ULCTable. The sources contained in the ULCGnats problem report description show the trick. The extension supports renderers for both the fixed and the regular columns.|
|598||Implementations of IFileService.storeFile() return different values for the name of the saved file||Jnlp is not capable of delivering the file path of the opened/stored file. The JnlpFileService has been
|616, 618, 619, 622||Garbage collector supported memory management||ULCProxy.release() is now deprecated API, actually this API is implemented as a no op|
|625||Sample war files should be WebSphere installable|
|633||Add messageType property to ULCAlert||Added the following APIs:
|637||ULCTextComponent.setDisabledTextColor() is not available|
|639||Performance problem when rendereres and editors are used|
|647||HTMLEditorPane.setText() does not work with "content" and "http-equiv" attributes in meta tags|
|652, 656||ULC session handling should support arbitrary cookie key/value pairs||ULC now uses a RFC2109-compliant HTTP state management (cookie management)|
|657||API to access Servlet container environment||
The ServletContainerContext now provides the following methods:
|658||API to access cookies and header fields on client side|
|662||Run ULC Application without cookies|
|664||Default logging should be enabled for samples||log-level is not set to WARNING for all sample applications, both on server and on client side.|
- When closing the browser window with the UI Engine running as an applet, the Java Plugin sometimes enters a deadlock leaving no other choice than killing the browser process. This is a Java Plugin bug not a ULC one (see Java Bug Database). This problem only affects Java Plugin 1.4.1 on the Windows XP platform without service pack 1, all other plugin versions and platforms seem to work fine.
- In a signed applet default cut/copy/paste using cntrl-x/cntrl-c/cntrl-v is broken. This is a Java Plugin bug not a ULC one (see Java Bug Database). This problem only affects Java Plugin 1.4.2.
- After completition of a Drag & Drop operation, the mouse cursor is not set back to the default cursor. This problem only occurs on Linux.
- JnlpFileService is broken for JDK 1.3.1.