Release NotesMarch, 2014
About Canoo RIA-Suite 2014
Canoo RIA-Suite 2014 is a major release of RIA-Suite. Its license version is 8.0. To use this release you will need to upgrade your license. Please contact email@example.com.
Canoo RIA-Suite includes the following new features:
|ULCServerPush||ULCServerPush enables pushing of server side events/data to the ULC client without requiring the ULC client to initiate a roundtrip. This helps in writing ULC applications that are highly responsive to high frequency events/data on the server side. Please have a look at a demo.|
|New Product Packaging||
RIA-Suite includes the packages ULC Core, ULCChart, ULCPortalIntegration, ULCWebIntegration powered by ULCFxBrowser,
ULCServerPush and ULCOpenDolphin. ULCOpenDolphin includes open source OpenDolphin libraries.
RIA-Suite Business includes RIA-Suite and packages ULCGraph and ULCOfficeIntegration.
ULCWebIntegration feature is now powered by ULCFxBrowser instead of JxBrowser.
|New Release Structure||Individual libraries for modules base, environment and container are no longer provided. Instead, all inclusive client side jar ulc-core-client.jar, all inclusive server side jar ulc-core-server.jar and all inclusive development jar ulc-core-development.jar are provided.|
|New features in ULCTable||Facility to show and hide columns from the client side
Adjusting column widths from the client side
Please see the Canoo RIA-Suite 2013 Update 2 release notes for previous release notes.
Canoo RIA-Suite 2014 requires the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 1.7 or later on the server and on the client. It is recommended to use Java version 1.7.0_25 or later.
The deployment of a Canoo RIA-Suite application requires a JEE server that supports at least the Servlet 2.4 specification.
Since JRE 1.7.0_51, to be able to run ULC applications in jnlp and applet mode you need to:
- sign all client side jars with a certificate issued from a recognized certification authority.
- include Permissions and Codebase properties in the manifest of each client side jar.
- include the security tag in the jnlp file.
Packages and Release Structure
UltraLightClient (ULC) is part of the Canoo RIA-Suite. It consists of ULC Core that includes all components required to successfully develop and deploy UltraLightClient applications. Additionally there are several packages that provide extended functionalities. The UltraLightClient packages and the structure of the current release are described in the following sections.
ULC CoreULC Core contains comprehensive widget set, application framework, test framework and integration into client and server containers.
The UltraLightClient release is split into modules. Each module belongs to exactly one of five categories:
All UltraLightClient classes.
For convenience, contains all the legacy modules: base (UltraLightClient core), container (server-side integrations into servlet container), environment (client-side integrations into environments), application framework, test framework and easy deployment.
It does not contain the samples.
Utilities like the project generator.
Only needed on demand.
Samples demonstrating the usage of UltraLightClient, e.g. Hello, ULCSet, OnlineShop, and more.
Not needed during development or deployment.
ULC Extension packages
A module directory contains sub-directories with the following contents:
Jar files that contain the module classes.
For sample and add-on modules, the required libraries.
Only for sample modules: the required resources, e.g. images, property files
Either complete source code or source stubs.
The source stubs are used to enable code completions in IDEs.
Only for sample modules: ready to deploy web application, i.e. war files
Package ULC Enterprise Portal Integration 1.0.6With this package you can integrate an ULC Application into your enterprise web applications or your enterprise portal server.
Package ULC Chart 1.0.2 (JFreeChart 1.0.12)This package integrates JFreeChart library. With this package you can create various business charts.
Package ULCFxBrowser 1.0.2 (JavaFX JRE 1.7)ULCFxBrowser integrates the JavaFX Web component into ULC. With this package you can integrate any web page directly into your ULC Application.
Package ULCOpenDolphin 1.0.0Integration with OpenDolphin.
Package ULCServerPush 1.0.0Server Push feature based on long polling.
Package ULC Office Integration 1.1.2This package bundles Apache POI and iText to produce PDF and MS Office documents integrated into your ULC Application.
Package ULC Graph 1.0.2 (JGraph 220.127.116.11)This package integrates JGraph library. With this package you can create and draw various graph diagrams.
|<canoo-ria-suite-2014>||RIA-Suite installation directory|
|all||All UltraLightClient classes. Development : ulc-core-development.jar, Client : ulc-core-client.jar, Server : ulc-core-server.jar|
|ext||Contains libraries of RIA-Suite add-on packages|
|license||The jar file with the deployment license key|
|previous_releasenotes||Previous release notes|
|Sample applications with ready to run Jetty Servlet container|
|thirdpartylicenses||Licenses of included third party libraries|
|License manager tool - used to install RIA-Suite licenses|
|build.txt||Contains the build number|
|LicenseAgreementDevelopment.pdf||The Development license Agreement|
|LicenseAgreementEvaluation.pdf||The Evaluation license Agreement|
- [UBA-8777] - Multiple ActionEvents on Button during a server roundtrip when there is a dealy on clientside in a roundtrip.
- [UBA-8779] - ULCTextField as cell editor throws NPE on clientside when Enter key is typed
- [UBA-8785] - JTableTree.getBackground() / getForeground()
- [UBA-8788] - Adding a node to ULCTableTree after expandAll is adding duplicate nodes on the client side.
- [UBA-8791] - NPE when null IActionListener is ULCComponent.registerKeyboardAction
- [UBA-8795] - ULCTableTree- NodeStructureChanged Event on server, results in NPE on client side.
- [UBA-8797] - ULCTree throws NPE when setting a model after initially setting a null model and cellrenderer
- [UBA-8798] - Renderers are not fetched after nodes are removed and added to a ULCTree.
- [UBA-8802] - NPE in ULCTableTree if row is out of range.
- [UBA-8752] - Provide a ULC to OpenDolphin-Event-Bus Adapter component
- [UBA-8753] - Provide Server Push feature in ULC
- [UBA-8763] - Provide Show/Hide columns and ColumnWidthAdjustment feature on client side in ULCTable
- [UBA-8780] - FileChoooser should optionally allow appending of specified extension to chosen file if it does not have one
- [UBA-8805] - Provide API for direct call from JS to Java in ULCFxBrowser
- [UBA-8809] - Provide methods on ULCScrollPane to set opaque and background on the ViewPort
- ULCWebIntegration feature is now supported by ULCFxBrowser based on JavaFx WebView. ULCWebIntegration based on JxBrowser has been discontinued. Use com.ulcjava.ext.fxbrowser.server.ULCFxBrowser class in place of com.ulcjava.ext.webintegration.server.ULCBrowser.
- ULCTablePlus based on JideTable is no longer bundled with release. It is available to existing license holders from Canoo's Nexus repository. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Separate jar files for base, container and environment modules are not part of the release any more. Instead use ulc-core-client.jar (all client side classes), ulc-core-server.jar (all server side classes) and ulc-core-development.jar (all client+server side classes).
You can find known problems and limitations in our issue database.
Product and company names herein may be trademarks of their respective owners.